Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Callas Forever"

I just finished watching this movie directed by Franco Zeffirelli. It starred Fanny Ardant, Jeremy Irons and Joan Plowright. Now, I know there are many people that are not into Callas' voice saying that she isn't sweet and soft and this and that. I want to say that there is NO ONE that can act like that woman did in those roles for the Opera. I've been a fan of Callas' for some time now. Some of my friends that studied music and vocal performance say that there are better sopranos than she. Okay, fine. I'm not a brain-box about opera nor am I an opera-person, but I do know about standards and performance. She gives me chills.

She was a diva. Some say "difficult." But, dont' they say that about all geniuses? Don't they say that about brilliance? Their bar is held up way beyond where Icarus tried to go. And, I don't think it's difficult that they are. I'd say, strongly opinionated. They know what they want and usually are right. But, I must balance this off by saying that it can be too much for some. It's a double-edged sword working with genius, I suppose...

WELL...here is the trailer for the movie. I enjoyed it. I adore Fanny Ardant. I think she is a fiery and sensitive actress. I love watching her in interviews because she is so breathy and soft-spoken. You are seduced by her voice. It's so soothing. Lucky-gal! I also adore Joan Plowright. She has these puppy dog eyes that are very expressive. And though, she is quite adorable, watch out! Because when she turns on you, those eyes are like daggers!



The movie wasn't really what I had expected. But, like I said, I did enjoy it. One of my favorite scenes is when Callas and Larry go to Larry's boyfriend's (Michael) studio. There she sees all the paintings that Michael has painted while listening to her sing. Mm...

That Fanny Ardant is one fierce lady. But, I knew that since first seeing her in, 8 Femmes.