Saturday, August 11, 2007

Romy Schneider (tidbits)

While researching about Stéphane Audran, I came across a bit on Romy that was said by Claude Chabrol (which was posted here, previously: http://redshoesonathuuursday.blogspot.com/2007/08/mortelle-randonne-or-when-ugly-is.html):

"There have been some people I’ve found tricky. Dear Romy [Schneider], for example. She cheated me. She said, ‘I warn you, I don’t have an ounce of humor.’ Amazing! A girl who can say such a thing. The trouble was, it was true. It went well. But she spent as much time acting in between takes as in front of the camera. We had a fight at the dub."

I thought of my friend from Europe who has such a wealth of knowledge on Romy (and is also a DJ) and I shared the quote with him. He wrote back that he had never heard that before and started to exchange more tidbits on Romy with me:

*In "César et Rosalie," she didn't want other actresses to get too many scenes. I thought that he meant she was talking about Isabelle Huppert in the movie, but no, she meant Gisela Hahn (yikes!). After a previous version she had them cut out all the scenes. (Eeks!)

*César was getting too much so she changed some parts of the script. (Whoops!)

*Claude Sautet said that it was, "because she is an absolute person." He couldn't say, "No," to her. He loved her. (Who could blame him? Really?)

*She was a diva sometimes; she knew what she wanted; she changed the script if she didn't like it; she was the star

*She had rights in her contract to control the final cut in her films

*In "Max et les ferrailleurs," she wanted to play the small role of the prostitute. She changed that character into a main role. (I have YET to see this movie!!!)

Wow. For some reason, this doesn't rub me the wrong way as today's "actors" bother me. She was the real deal and there are so few that are the true blue thing in our world-society of celebrity. I have YET to see a film of hers in which she disappoints me. She is always exquisite and delicious. She never fails to amaze me.

You must remember, I feel this way because I am UTTERLY bias when it comes to Romy. I'm not necessarily okay with her behavior, nor do I condone it yet in my moonstruck eyes, she can do no wrong. Even though, she was no saint (but, honestly...who is?=P)!!! Ha! I do take her flaws, her weaknesses, &c. There is NO denying that she is Greatness. Try to say otherwise to my face. I dare you. Go on. I DOUBLE dare you. And let's see if your mother will recognize you.

I Love her. I can only imagine if she were alive today what abundance she would produce. It's sad to think that we'll never know.


Currently listening to: The English Patient (Original Soundtrack Recording)