Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Padam...Padam...Padam...She is EFFING Stunning




Back when I was rehearsing for LIFE IS A DREAM at SCR, I researched about who Marion Cotillard is. There have been so many comments by critics, journalists, fans, &c...about how even though she was lip-synching the role, they couldn't get over that it wasn't coming from Cotillard's own soul. WELL, there was this article (I believe) that I found that said she went to a voice teacher and asked how she could produce that sound that Piaf possessed. Not so that she could mimic it. She was definitely not interested in imiating Piaf (Please! She's smarter than that=) It was so that she could use the same exact muscles that Piaf used. (Smart gal! I LOVE her!) The same breath. WELL, when time came to film all those singing scenes, she'd have the sound guys buh-last the soundtrack (Piaf's recordings) that way she could sing full out and make us believe that that strikingly amazing sound was produced from her soul.

I can't get over Cotillard. She captured, she understood Piaf's soul, her heart, her skin. She's stunning. Je l'adore.

And what about Edith Piaf? Marlene Dietrich said it in, "La Vie en Rose," You are the soul of France.

Please...argue with me. Oh! I'd love it. I'd love it. C'mon! Don't hang back! (Now if you can tell me what film that's from...you're hot!)

***

On a sad note...one of my favorite directors/writers, Anthony Minghella, died today of a hemorrhage at the age of 54. I just got home a couple of minutes ago and read that. The world lost a great visionary. A moving poet. Such a gentle, passionate, loving, warm soul. The first person I thought of when I read that he past away was Juliette Binoche, and when I saw her on the Actor's Studio saying how she wanted to be on the set of, "The English Patient," forever if she could. God. The depth of emotion that revealed when she spoke of that time of filming.

The second person I thought of was my good friend, Frank. "The English Patient," is our film.

May Anthony Minghella see the sky shining like diamonds and hear the angels sing.