Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Another Rejection

On Saturday, I auditioned for a short film. I was up for the lead role. The director and his assistant asked me if I wanted to read for the other female role and I said, "No." ONLY BECAUSE I think anyone could probably do that role and it wasn't interesting enough to me. The lead role, of course (I guess), was. It's the turn at the end that gets me. I wrote the director telling him that I thought the beginning shots of the film (in the script) and the last parts were very "french cinema." I was hoping that I would get cast for this one just so that I could have a chance to play that "turn." *sigh* I found out tonight that I wasn't cast.

What? I found out? Yes. The director wrote me back saying that they had cast another girl. Would he have written back if I hadn't written him a, "Thank you," note for giving me the opportunity to audition? Who knows? All I know is that it was kind and generous of him to reject me up front!

Here's the email he sent me:

Hello [L]!

Thanks for your email yesterday, I appreciate the kind words and
support. Sadly, though, I've decided to cast another girl for Gillian.
It was really, really close between you and the other girl, Dina (the
girl you read with) and I really enjoyed some of the subtleties of your
audition, like the way your face lit up when you smiled or laughed :-)
I'd really love to work with you eventually, so if it's okay with you,
I'll keep your info in my files and will contact you directly when I
create a role that would be perfect for you.

Wishing you success with your career,
- [Director's name]


This is much appreciated in a business where if you are rejected, you wait it out and wait and wait and wait. And then, you suppose that you were rejected. For me, I'm such a dork that I wait till the first day of rehearsal, or shooting. OR, I wait till OPENING NIGHT. For true! I have. Because, maybe, just maybe, you will be needed last minute to take over for the lead!

I am grateful for his note.

This is the path that I have chosen to tread. I tread these boards with a heavy, yet hopeful, heart.

Currently watching: Caroline, or Change