Thursday, August 23, 2007

"The English Patient"

I cannot help but weep BUCKETS whenever I pop this film into the DVD player. I turn into Niagara Falls. If I made just one film like this and then died after shooting it, I would die happy. Anthony Minghella is a marvelous story-teller, so sensitive and full of passion. The cast is sublime: Ralph Fiennes, Kristin Scott Thomas, Juliette Binoche, Naveen Andrews, Colin Firth, Willem Dafoe...

This is one of those rare films that touches my heart in a way that if I tried to describe it, I would certainly bastardize that feeling. I won't even attempt. It's the same kind of feeling that I experienced with Babette's Feast, The Cranes are Flying, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Les Choses de la Vie, A Woman Under the Influence, Rabbit-Proof Fence, La Vita è Bella, Le Notti di Cabiria, Schindler's List, Sophie's Choice... *le sigh* The depth of emotion, of imagery, of words, of music... I would have done Anything to get into that film.

Ralph Fiennes is beautiful, period. Kristin Scott Thomas and Juliette Binoche can Never do wrong (in my humble eyes). It's really an example of how the stars were truly aligned when this film was made. Perfection. Or, since perfection cannot be attained, Near-perfection.

The intensity of this scene makes it feel like you shouldn't be watching it. Almásy's gaze at Katherine is focused and direct. Katherine cannot do anything but look away. It seems that he will ravage her but in which way? Sexually or murderously? And the scene that follows with the sleeping Hana, her arm on Almásy's mid-section. It's tenderly comedic.



"...for the heart is an organ of fire..." *le whew*



I remember getting the soundtrack to the film while I was at school. I had rehearsal that day and brought it in to play as a personal warm-up. The theatre was empty except for me and my good friend (who is also in love with the film). We re-enacted this scene on our dorky stage pieces. It still brings a smile to my face. Mm. I love him.



I especially detest this scene but then what comes AFTER it. I'm already so emotionally invested in the story, in the people, I can't help but be upset beyond belief for Almásy at this point and I understand his ultimate "betrayal."


The novel by Michael Ondaatje is superb. So lyrical. Reading his book is like watching Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance. I Love people who know how to tell a story. Story-tellers of any kind, be it through dance, writing, speaking, painting, acting, music...

It is an incredibly moving piece of art. Both the film and novel.