Monday, August 27, 2007

Sarah Jones' BRIDGE & TUNNEL


I saw BRIDGE & TUNNEL last year in April when I auditioned for The Public Theater's Shakespeare Lab in NY. Incredible show. Here's a bit of what I wrote a day after seeing the show:

The audience was truly diverse in race as well as age! It was awesome! I loved it. Sarah is amazing. How did she do it? She played several characters from a 6th grader to a senior citizen! From a Mexican to a Vietnamese. She wore all black and just added a coat, glasses, scarf, hat, chair, &c. for all her different people. That’s all. Damn! It was truly a great theatre experience. Two great theatre experiences in a row for me! Yeah! During the show, as with GREY GARDENS, I thought to myself, “I gotta get into The Shakespeare Lab. I gotta get in!” Ha! That woman is inspiring as is The Ebersole. Man! Such a great show. She’s talented, witty, funny, intelligent…I mean, EVERYTHING that I love about true artists. Honest. She’s an actress and a poet. Yes. The whole time I wanted to hear her real voice. What does Sarah Jones’ “real” voice sound like? After our standing ovation and her coming out twice, she spoke. In an English dialect! And then she said, “I don’t really speak like that,” and let us hear her true voice. HAHAHHAHHAHA! Very funny. She got us! Sarah also said that the show has extended to July 9th. Amazing! Wonderful for her.

Sarah Jones inhabited each and every person that she played. She truly did. She is a chameleon. A transformer. It was amazing to watch her go from the next person to the next like it was no sweat. It seemed so effortless. I cannot say enough. I wish they had a Bravo special on DVD or something. I read that she was the first artist to sue the FCC for censorship. They reversed the censoring rule which targeted her hip-hop recording of, “Your revolution,” with DJ Vadim. That is out on CD. Her show makes me think that that is what The Public Theater is all about. The “stew pot,” of America. The multi-racial layers. The richness, the acceptance, the hardships, honesty and integrity. The heartbreak and the joys. Being involved and standing up for each other. What a show.

Support this show when it comes to Brentwood, CA on September 25th. She'll be there until October 21st. Take my advice, you'll end up being devoted to me after you see the show. I guarantee. If not, well...there's something wrong with you. (Just jokes...)

So, who's goin' with me?

Playbill.com's article on BRIDGE & TUNNEL coming to CA: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/109639.html

To purchase tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1142207/