Sunday, August 19, 2007

Gena Rowlands (One Ferocious Mama)

If I had to pick ONE American actress to be my absolute favorite, that woman would HAVE to be Gena Rowlands. This woman is out of this world! She is a masterclass. One tough broad, vulnerable to the core, receptive, aware, smart, gorgeous, sensitive... She's the real deal. Her films with her late-husband, John Cassavetes, were stories of the life inside. They were about love and the lack of it. About REAL people. Flaws and weakness all over the place. Mistakes and regrets bleeding onto film. Very raw and full of depth.

My "first" Gena film: Gloria 1980 (I say "first" because I actually saw her in, "Another Woman," first. But, this is the one that perked me up and I took notice. Same thing happened with Romy and Stéphane--it took me another look at them in another film to take notice)



Minnie and Moskowitz 1971 This is the blind-date scene from the film. Oh.My.God. The blind-date from Hell. HELL. One of the funniest scenes and I wish it were in its entirety; from the point where she meets him in the museum to the fight in the parking lot. Val Avery is magic. Gena and her face are priceless! I'd LOVE to do this scene one day.



A Woman Under the Influence 1974 Mm-mm-mm! This is a lesson in madness. A demonstration of destruction. An already fragile mind breaks and must live on with those broken pieces.



Love Streams 1984 I was able to win this film on ebay. I've got to pop it back in. The lives of the brother and sister (played by John and Gena)...man!



A Child is Waiting 1963 I was lucky that TCM aired this movie. I was able to record it on VHS. It's a heartbreaking story.



Strangers: The Story of a Mother and Daugther 1979 I have never seen this. I wish I could get my hands on it!!! But, I'm always getting outbid, dammit. Bette Davis and Gena together. Whoa! In the beginning after meeting her, Bette said something to this affect, "Is that moose gonna play my daughter?" But, she ended up Loving Gena. Who wouldn't love her, though? (This is the only film in this batch not directed by John)